Sunday

Tokyo '07 - The Champion

As I have already mentioned there are a couple of things that I absolutely must do when I return to Japan. Onsen or Hot Baths, Photography of something and Food. More specifically, Yakiniku. On this trip, on the third day in, I did just that.

I must say however, that I was a bit disappointed that my all time failsafe venue for yakiniku, Gyu-Kaku was mysteriously missing from Ebisu which meant that we had to find a back-up venue which isn't all that difficult to do in places like Ebisu and other main stops on the Yamanote train line. As I said, all in all it was good eating and since I had not had it in about a year and a half, it was real good eating for me.

It did get me thinking back to my days with Matsuzaka beef however and how that was sooo much above and beyond anything else I had eaten in my life. That's right, in my life. I would consider the first location in Ebisu to be one designed to satisfy the need for Yakiniku in a manner that served true blue collar workers at the end of a hard day where the beer or sake flows freely as does the conversation.

Matsuzaka was much more formal. The meat of the elite. Not to be taken in jest or squandered, but savored, enjoyed and honored. The 2nd night before our return home, we had found the middle ground. Or should I say our friends had introduced us to the middle ground. A place that entertained both the soul as well as the palette.

The ironic thing about this place was its unassuming location as well as its name. Now it must be said that I had lived and worked in this location called Ebisu for the better part of 8 years. I had never heard or seen this place. It was like the scene from Harry Potter where you walk right past a wall failing to see the door right in front of your face. But there it was, bigger than shit. The name said it all "Yakiniku Champion."

I initially expected to walk into yet another charcoal darkened yakiniku house with a very familar environment to that which I had experienced before. My friend assured me that this place was different and that I defininetly would not be dissapointed. Walking in, I could see his point upon first glance. It was bright.

The place looked spotless, clean bright, almost festive. Along the right side was the kitchen with the traditional bench along the front of it where patrons were seated casually chatting with one another as well as the staff as they scurried around with beer, sake and of course meat.

We were ushered to a table on the right side of the room. It resembled a sterile environment one would expect in a hosptial. The aluminum vents were spotless. No grease from the smokey meat. The grill was a unique smaller above table gas grill. On each side were two place settings layed out in perfect alignment and display. It was all very, well clean. Not something I would expect from a real yakiniku joint. But the conversation was loud and the smiles were flowing with the alcohol, and yes that familar yakiniku smell was still in the air.

Now this is when Japan begins to get it right on the ingenuity front. There was really no where to put our things in this small booth. No coat hooks, no cubby hole nothing just a small table with just enough room for 4 people let alone this gaiijin and another, plus our significan others. FLIP! WTF? The seat of the bench flipped up to reveal the storage place for all of our gear. Immediately everything was pitched in and we were seated ordering up our first round of Chu-Jockies (Large mug of draft beer).

Now since I had not been to this venue before and it was recommended by a friend, I let him do the ordering on this night. The first thing he ordered up arrived at the table and everything around me just froze in time. It was a plate of finely sliced meet that revealed marbelling that I had only seen one other place, you guessed it, Matsuzaka-gyu. This could not be, 'mere mortals were not to dine upon meat so fine.

On the grill
The Marble
The Menu
The Meat of Champions

My friend smiled as he slid them on the grill. They sizzled. Now I am no fool, I know these are not Matsuzaka-gyu, but that marbelling promised one hell of a tender pice of meat that was sure to melt in the mouth. I was told that this type of meat was not to be dipped in the yakiniku sauce before eating, but that its flavor carries itself, I was allowed however to apply a hint of lemon to the meat prior to depositing it in my mouth.

About 2 minutes on the grill and it was done. Not too much not too raw, just write. The Hashi went in to scoop it up. Dragging the tip lightly across the lemon juice, I layed the meat upon my tounge, not chewing but allowing the hot flavor to cover my toungue. WOW! What flavor! I was really impressed the stand alone flavor of this meat was quite impressive indeed. The true test however, came next. I pressed the meat to the roof of my mouth and lightly closed my teeth on it. It was as if the meat did not exist.

It was official. This place somehow imagined to pull off the impossible. High quality gyu at affordable prices (relatively speaking) in a blue collar environment. I can say nothing more about this other than by the time the night was over, we had been through 5 rounds of Chu-Jockies and one round of Cup-o-sake, and sampled every part of the cow that they were offering, and that is alot of meat, although I personally stayed away from the tongue and what the Japanese refer to as "Hormones" or things that generally are glandualr or organs.

Remember the name. One day you may find yourself in Ebisu looking for a great place to eat. My recommendation, Yakiniku Champion right off of Komozawa Dori before you get to Ebisu Station going towards Ebisu Garden Place.

thxs Musashi

No comments:

Recent Comments